Drowning is a leading cause of death to children under five.
– CPSC Document #5097, Consumer Product Safety Commission
Pools add fun for your family and value to your home, but there is no doubt that they can also pose a huge risk, especially for young children. Submersion and drownings happen quickly, especially when they involve children. A child can drown in the time it takes to answer a telephone.
Pool safety is of utmost importance. Some important safety hints:
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first as time is critical.
- You will want a fence at least 4 feet high to help keep children, teenagers and animals from climbing or jumping over. Also use self-closing and self-latching gates.
- To provide further protection, you may also want to install a pool alarm which will alert you of unauthorized use or entry to swimming pool area.
- Install covers on both pools and spas / hot tubs.
- Always watch children in or around the pool – stay alert and have other responsible individuals help if there are several children near the pool.
- Never let young children be around a pool unattended, even if they are not swimming.
- All young children should always wear life preserver equipment while in the pool.
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid accidental entrapment.
- Stress and re-stress common pool rules like no diving or running in the pool area.
- Have a cordless phone or cell phone pool-side, so someone can call for help immediately if necessary.
- Alcohol and pools do not go well together! Drink responsibly and if you are having a party, be especially vigilant to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Learn basic CPR for children and adults. Each minute can make a difference between life and death. You can keep a victim alive until professional help arrives in the event of a pool emergency.
- For further information, visit the US government’s pool safety website at poolsafely.gov.
All of our fence types can be used for pool protection, so you can combine safety with beauty. Our experienced estimators will help you decide which is best for you. Your best fencing value is always available at AMECHI Fence Co. of Turnersville,NJ. Serving South Jersey for over 30 years.
◊ Showroom Location: Turnersville: 856.227.6691 ◊